Pages

Monday 28 April, 2008

Three Short Love Poems

Here is a compilation of three short love poems written by twelve-year-old Emily. The first is a short poem about how Emily loves her teachers. During the school year, her literature class was given an assignment to write a letter to a departing teacher. Emily asked if she could write a poem instead and was given permission.

The second poem was written for a hand made card that Emily made for her mother for Mother’s Day. Similarly, the third was written for a hand made card for her father for Father’s Day.

The Last Day
by: Emily

The saddest thing
It's hard to say
Is seeing you on
Your last day.

I take it for granted,
Though I see you a lot,
Just how much you do
And your kind thought.

You helped me understand
Things I couldn't before.
I can't bear to watch you
Walk out of that door.

Though I'll miss you,
I know indeed
You'll do great out there
Planting new seeds.

"What seeds", you are asking
"Why can't I see?"
But you have already
Planted one in me.

It will grow and grow,
As I learn more and more.
Each day I'll remember
What you taught me before.

I'm happy for you
To plant more seeds.
I know they will grow
Without any weeds.

There won't be weeds.
Yes, of that I am sure.
For you have touched them.
Now they are pure.

The saddest thing,
It's hard to say,
Is seeing you on
Your last day.

A Mother’s Day Poem
by: Emily

Mom, I love you.
That is true.
All the way
To infinity, too.

Now that I’m older
And wiser, too,
I realize just
How much you do.

Most of the time
I don’t look to see
How many things
You do for me.

For this I am sorry.
Next time I’ll try.
You are wonderful,
And I’m glad you’re mine.

(Emily really can put out what she feels in a love poem, even at age twelve. I hope you see this in time for your next Mother's Day because it is probably how your child feels about you, whether spoken, written or acted.)

A Father's Day Poem
By: Emily

This is for you,
Dear Daddy of mine
To let you know
I think you're devine.

A bunch of years
Have flown by real fast
But do not worry,
I'll always keep our past.

It'll travel with me
Wherever I go.
I'll remember the times we've had
So long ago.

Please don't be sad,
Dear Daddy of mine
For there are more to come,
You will find.

I'll always remember
Those things we did
Like snowmobiling
(When Mommy was hid).

Riding our bikes,
Hitting golf balls,
Getting up on skis,
Without a fall.

Driving the golf cart,
Nicktoons Racing,
Jumping on the trampoline,
And later your back aching.

No matter where we go
Or what we do,
In my heart always
There's a place for you.

I hope this card helped
You to see
Just how much
I love you, Daddy!

(More telling than the exact words are the eyes of the daughter as she watches her father read the personally prepared poem.

I feel that all children can write down their feelings. Some may not be able to put in poem format, but I see them as poems anyway as they are from the heart. This may be the best way for them to express themselves.

When you see some spare time for your child coming up, why not give some space, and provide pencil and paper. Ask your child to write about how he or she feels about birds, or snow, or the blue sky, or you, or whatever. My guess is that you will be surprised!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Love is...
© LOVE SMS - Template by Blogger Sablonlari - Font by Fontspace